Golestan’s summer camp teaches positive values in full language immersion with fun activities that will feed their minds, bodies, and souls. At Golestan, where the only language spoken is Persian/Farsi, our goal is to teach each child the following qualities: Integrity, curiosity, altruism, dignity, generosity, compassion, confidence, kindness, and community.
This is a tinkering camp for kids that like to create things from raw materials. They will participate in large-scale group projects designing and making/building the creations of their collective imagination… from start to finish. They will collaborate, discuss, design, plan, scavenge, build, test, rebuild, test again until they have reached (or surpassed) their goals.
Last year, the children made an beautiful quilt and a vast city (4 ft by 8 feet) out of clay, wood, and found materials. This year, they will work on a permanent installation, among other exciting projects.
Camp begins in mid-June and runs weekly through the last week of August, except the first week in August when Golestan is closed for Summer Break. At least one day per week is spent entirely outdoors at Tilden Park.
- Week 1 – June 15
- Week 2 – June 22
- Week 3 – June 29 (4 day week)
- Week 4 – July 6
- Week 5 – July 13
- Week 6 – July 20
- Week 7 – July 27
- Week 8 – Aug 10
- Week 9 – Aug 17
- Week 10 – Aug 24
Each week includes the integration of the following principles:
- Curiosity – nature exploration (entire days in the forest, weekly)
- Confidence – physical activity (soccer, dance, hiking, yoga, to name a few)
- Generosity – crafts (knitting, toy making)
- Kindness – music (traditional folkloric Iranian songs)
- Community – art and building (collaborative projects)
- Dignity – movement (dance, yoga)
- Compassion – performing arts (theater and puppetry)
- Integrity – games (backgammon, sack racing)
- Altruism – community service (feeding homeless, weekly neighborhood cleanup)
Camp operates M-F, 9am – 3pm, with the option for early drop off and late pickup (8am – 5:30pm). Recommended enrollment is for the full term. Enrollment is full term (June-August), monthly, and weekly in order of priority.
- 9am – 3pm – $397/week (includes lunch and 2 snacks)
- 9am – 5:30pm – $517/week (includes lunch and 3 snacks)
Payment is due in full at time of registration. Refund policy: 50% refund if cancelled 30 days or more before first day of enrollment; no refund with < 30 days notice.