“What is amazing is their generosity in giving advice and sharing all their experiences with other emerging Schools, concentrating on the education of bicultural children, including their progressive curriculum. During my 2-day visit to the school, I was warmly greeted by both the director of the program and all the teachers at Golestan. Apart from observing their wonderful classes, I had a chance to have several thought provoking engaging conversations, through which I gained much insight and help in further improving my own work in teaching bicultural children.
I found this invaluable collaborative spirit, so encouraging and inspiring, and I’m sure it will eventually give rise to many more remarkable language immersion programs. Golestan is indeed an inspiration for other language immersion programs all across the country.”
Aitak Azhang, Founder Yekibood Children, NYC/CT/VA
What is the Golestan Colab?
Golestan was the first daily Persian language immersion school in the country. With the hope to help other communities start similar programs, Golestan made it its mission to support other communities at whatever level possible. From financial modeling to teacher training to lesson planning, the organization established itself with the culture of sharing and collaboration.
In the seven years of Golestan’s existence in its current form, we have received countless requests for requests to share materials and resources to assistance starting from the ground up. The organization feels strongly about helping other communities, and developed the Colab in order to provide support and expertise to all families and educators interested in support for raising bicultural children.
As the school’s pedagogy evolved, we were surprised to receive many requests for consultation from educators outside of the language immersion world. As a result, the Colab’s mission has expanded to help all educators promote and incorporate progressive and positive teaching methodologies.
The Colab also produces teaching materials modeled after its curriculum. It researches best practices in bilingualism and child development and offers pro bono consulting to individuals and schools either wanting to build or enhance their language immersion programs or progressive programs for children.
Communities we have worked with:
- Communities that have worked with the Colab to develop (or have developed) Persian immersion schools include: Toronto, Seattle, Salt Lake City, Washington DC, Connecticut, Los Angeles, Irvine, Chicago, New York City and the Bay Area communities of Walnut Creek, San Mateo, Mountain View, Menlo Park, and Marin County.
- The Colab has also worked with other communities including American, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Russian, Ethiopian, Jewish, Armenian, Chinese, Spanish, Indian, and Afghan communities have also used our school as a model for their own emerging schools.
- More recently, the Colab has been working with communities in underdeveloped countries to build schools for orphans and underprivileged children. These communities include Nepal, Cambodia, India, Sri Lanka and Iran. To see pictures of a recent project in Nepal, click here.
For a sample of products produced by Colab, click here.
What Golestan Colab offers:
- Online resource (in development) for bilingual families with articles and tips on how to successfully raise children whom are fluent in more than one language. This includes recommended resources, books, audio books, and CDs. These resources are intended to help parents and educators create an environment to support their efforts in raising bilingual children.
- Support for other communities in need of a similar programs for children including advice, shared resources, and curricula – this includes pro-bono consulting and onsite visits. Please email Colab@GolestanKids.com for more information.
- The Golestan Collective (workshops, film screenings etc) with other language immersion programs nationwide (including Spanish, Russian, French, Chinese, Ethiopian, Japanese, etc) for developing best teaching practices and shared resources. Please email Colab@GolestanKids.com for more information.
- Teaching materials, including audiobooks (first one released March 2013), books, and digital curricula.
- A private portal that educators can register for to access the resources we have developed for our Colab. (Educators can register through the link below. It will take 24 hours for your request to be approved. Once approved you will receive a notification email and be given access to all our resources on our private site. Log-in & Registration for the Colab private Portal.
Below is a list of schools that are currently active in the Golestan Collective bi-monthly virtual meetings:
- Seattle, WA: Persian Preschool (www.PersianPreschool.com)
- Marin County, CA: Shadi Kids (www.ShadiKids.com)
- San Mateo, CA: Boostan Kids (www.BoostanKids.com)
- Walnut Creek, CA: Borna School (www.bornach.com)
- Mountain View, CA: Baharestan Kids (www.baharestankids.com)
- Menlo Park, CA: U ME (www.u-meplace.com)
- Irvine, CA: In development
- New Canaan, CT: Iran Doost (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Newly Launched!! Toronto, Canada: Ferdows Kids (www.ferdowskids.com)
“Golestan has become an institution that Bay Area Iranian-Americans can be proud of. Every detail has been carefully planned. With their support, guidance, and encouragement, I am opening my own ‘Golestan-inspired’ program and getting tremendous positive feedback from the community.”
- Baleen Bahmanian Shemirani, Co-founder Boostan Kids Persian Immersion preschool, San Mateo CA.