What is the Golestan Colab?
Golestan was the first daily Persian language immersion school in the United States. With the hope to help other communities start similar programs, Golestan made it its mission to support other communities at whatever level possible. From financial modeling to teacher training to lesson planning, the organization established itself with the culture of sharing and collaboration.
In the seven years of Golestan’s existence in its current form, we have received countless requests to share materials and resources to assistance starting from the ground up. The organization feels strongly about helping other communities, and developed the Colab in order to provide support and expertise to all families and educators interested in receiving support for raising bicultural children.
As the school’s pedagogy evolved, we were surprised to receive many requests for consultation from educators outside of the language immersion world. As a result, the Colab’s mission has expanded to help all educators promote and incorporate experiential and positive teaching methodologies.
Golestan Colab Mission:
The Golestan Colab empowers and supports educators, parents, and community leaders to create their ideal learning environment for children by offering consultancy and resources in the following areas: 1) the integration and application of hands-on and experiential learning practices and approaches 2) language immersion and cultural education.
What Golestan Colab offers:
The Colab produces teaching materials modeled after its curriculum. It researches best practices in bilingualism and child development and offers pro bono consulting to individuals and schools either wanting to enhance their language immersion programs or develop experiential programs for children. The Colab’s services include:
- Support for other communities that currently have or are in need of similar programs for children including advice, shared resources, and curricula – this includes consulting and onsite visits.
- The Golestan Collective works with other language immersion programs nationwide (including Spanish, Russian, French, Chinese, Ethiopian, Japanese, etc) for developing best teaching practices and shared resources. This includes workshops and film screenings.
- Teaching materials, including audiobooks (first one released March 2013), books, and digital curricula.
- A private portal which gives access to resources and the many materials we have developed for our Colab. Educators can register here. It will take 24 hours for your request to be approved. Once approved you will receive a notification email and be given access to all our resources on our private site.
- Online resource (in development) for families with articles and tips related to child development, education, and bilingualism. This includes recommended resources, books, audio books, and CDs. These resources are intended to support parents and educators in general, and to help them create an environment that promotes their efforts in raising bilingual children.
If you would like assistance starting a similar school in your own community, please email Colab@golestanKids.com.
“We came to the Colab for advice on opening an after-school program for orphans in Nepal. What we received was far beyond anything we could have hoped for: guidance, support, curriculum development, and personalized training of our teachers in Nepal. What the Colab has done for us would have taken us years to create on our own. Most importantly, our children are growing and thriving thanks to the Golestan Colab. “
– Jehan Seirafi- founder , Sunsar Maya Program Nepal
“With their support and constant guidance, my sister and I have launched our very own daily Persian immersion preschool and the response from our community has been rewarding, inspiring and beyond our wildest imagination.What Golestan has inspired is not just a language immersion program, but a movement, and a way of life; one that respects nature, promotes empathy and kindness, and above all, an affinity for our rich, and beautiful Iranian language and heritage. “
- Baleen Bahmanian Shemirani, Co-founder Boostan Kids Persian Immersion preschool, San Mateo CA.
To learn more about Colab Projects click here.